Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What Is It - XVIII -Answer

Here are the answers where I got the photos for the game.

#1 - This tree had three different colored lichen growing on the tree. I thought the color combination was very interesting.
#2 - This was a tree that got blown down when the remnants of a Hurricane Ike came up through Ohio, I did show some downed trees at that time. The roots in the crack were from a vine growing on the tree or the other offshoots of the tree. I thought the cut pattern from the saw might have given it away.
#3 - Is the head of a reed plant (Phragmites australis subsp. australis) that had fallen over. You can see some of the stems to the right. My friend Tom from Columbus Ohio Nature Blog got them all easily and gave me the reeds name. He does work in the field for the State of Ohio. He often helps me with nature suggestions such as visiting Triangle Lake and the Kent Bog.
Those were some great guesses right away of the unusual sights from nature.

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

LOL!! I can see this guessing game is not too easy Tom. You got me racking my few little grey cells on this one. But it is fun, so please do it again next week. See, I am a sucker for punishment!! LOL!!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Yay! I got one right.
I wasn't even close on the second one. Oh well.
And the third...
First I was gonna guess pompass grass shoots(that would have been closer), but I decided that would be too easy. Guess I shouldn't have thought about it so hard. tee hee

Mary said...

Well, I would have missed them, if I had seen the contest, so I'm glad I just came along for the answers :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I knew the first one was lichen, Tom, but didn't know the other two. It's hard when the close-up (macro) makes everything look MUCH larger. Don't think I'm very good at this little game. ha ha
Betsy

Femin Susan said...

the guessing game is not easy. It looks so different from the other when we take a close look.
Cheers!