Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Header Competition Season 2 # 2 - Sepia

The header theme this week by Mac is "Sepia". MacGail's Man,LannyDave and I have a little contest to show a new theme header each week. We now post anytime before 4 PM EDT and start the voting after that. 

 
Darla, Martha and Tom W are on a break. Come back as soon as you are able my friends.

How many of you know that SEPIA isn't just a way to make your photos look old. It is actually a process I used as an Engineer to make modified drawings from an original. You would use a special sepia toned paper and run it through a copying machine with your original drawing to make a copy that could be changed. You would then take the sepia copy and using an ammonia solution, that was really smelly, to take out the original dimension and put in the changed dimension you wanted. You ended up with an out of scale drawing but it could be done quickly and that was the purpose of the SEPIA. The world of computers and ACAD drawings has made the process obsolete. So today we use the SEPIA to make cool effects on a photo.


I took a photo of the lake as I set out at dawn in the pursuit of fish. Can you see the flock of Canada Geese in front of the island? Here is the original photo,
and here is the sepia of the lake, I think it is a cool effect.
I decided to use a American Swallowtail Butterfly photo for my header so here is the original,
and above is the SEPIA.


Check out what other have to show from the above links.

22 comments:

Cezar and Léia said...

Dear Tom, I love your header, it's really impressive, great choice for sepia , I think I just prefer it, your picture has a nostalgic feeling! :)
Léia

Craver Vii said...

Wow, those are really cool! Coincidentally, I took a team photo of my department today. Our purpose was to mount this print into a goodbye journal for another coworker and... I chose to do the print in sepia. I figured that would be good, since the project was intended to be nostalgic anyway.

Janie said...

I never knew sepia was once used in engineering. It does serve you well in photography, too. I especially love the lake photo in sepia.

Reanaclaire said...

ooooh..i love the reflections.. i will join in this week header., wait till i get home, i post up a nice picture. :)

Hilary said...

Very cool. I didn't know that about sepia and drawings. I love how the lake looks in the sepia image.. very golden and reflective.

Gaelyn said...

The lake looks cool both ways.
Isn't sepia also a paint color?

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

Beautiful sepia sh0ts!love the sec0nd ph0to..i love sepia too... weekend getaway @ kenting

Pietro Brosio said...

Tom, "sepia" is a beautiful effect and your image well describes it. I also like the picture of the butterfly :-)

Lanny said...

Tom, I love it! The whole lesson about sepia and the photos. I like seeing the originals too. What a difference. The lake shot in sepia, those trees and the reflections really stand out. You miss the color of the original but the skeleton of the trees is superb!

Dave Cawkwell said...

I think the sepia toning of the lake really makes it a fantastic shot. Crisp, golden yet also tranquil and peaceful. Great combination.

Unknown said...

The lake picture works best in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful sepia shots. The lake looks great!

nancy said...

cool! Tom. I did my header too. Sorry, I forgot to leaves comments.
Nancy

Rajesh said...

Very interesting transformations.

George said...

I really like your header, Tom. I also appreciate your historical information on the sepia process. I learned something and got to enjoy some wonderful pictures. Thanks.

Tipper said...

I like the sepia lake-and so neat how you used to use the process at work too.

myonlyphoto said...

Good work, and thanks for letting us know how it was done in the old days. Technology took over really fast, but I am sure those old techniques were fun to do too. Anna :)

Cezar and Léia said...

Bonjour again dear Tom!
Your butterfly is magnificent my friend, wonderful header!
Please forgive this late comment and thanks so much for your always kind visit and comments in our blog.
I'm studying French in two different schools here ( now I think it will be work well!), all mornings and evenings.At afternoons I have to take care of house stuffs, laundry, homework, little Luna, blogs and so on.It's not easy, I'm blogging less than usual, but still here! ;)
I'm happy and positive, I think the important thing, if I can learn something new today my day is full of lovely lights!
Hugs
Léia

Willard said...

I love these photos, Tom. I have always loved the b&w and sepia toned images.

Tom said...

Hello there Thomas...
Long time no visit... ;o) I love the header and the lake shot...
I am pleased to see your fishing is going well... I am happy to tell you that my youngest son (I have mentioned him before to you) as taken up fishing... he as taken to it very well... last week he bought me his first Rainbow Trout... I was honoured and thought it a nice touch.. ha! until he asked if I could gut, clean and cook it for him.... ha! I think he will do well fishing...
All the best to you

Twisted Fencepost said...

Definitely changes the effect of the pictures.
And I can't make up my mind whether I like the orignials or the Sepia ones.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Both of the lake photos are beautiful. I missed the sepia butterfly. The original photo is a keeper.

Oh, did you catch any fish?

I'm glad you don't have to smell that stinky ammonia anymore.