Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Cold"

The theme this week by Lew is "Cold". Mac, Kathy, Craver, Lew, Christine and I have a little contest to show a new theme header each week. We now post anytime before 4 PM EDT on Wednesdays and voting begins after that.

This was the first time in my 70 years to see this occur. It is called a snow roller. You need a snow in cold weather that becomes wet, high winds and here's what happens. The wind rolls the snow just like you would when making a snowman.
You can see some in the back yard.
Sometimes they would fall over on end.
I liked this one with the neat shadow.
The wind would blow around the roller when in fell over.
This is the front yard and you can see a lot of small one.
I thought this one was filled by the snow after it stopped.
See what the others show on my side bar.

9 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Those are amazing!! I've never seen those even when I lived in Montana. What fun shots for the day!! Hope your week is going well!!

imac said...

Tom, this is pure magic, never heard of this before.
Nice crisp and sharp too.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is really cool.I don't think I have ever seen this.

Katney said...

They also happen on a steep slope and can warn of avalanche danger. I have pictures of some of that type. We passed through that area as quickly as we could on a snowshoe trip.

Craver Vii said...

Great catch! I've heard of snow rollers, but I've never seen them up close and personal.

Lew said...

Nice effect! I have not seen them here, though we do get windblown snow sculptures.

heritagemom said...

Wow; I had never heard of those either. They look like white doughnuts all over the snow. Neat!

Sandi McBride said...

Now that is amazing, we had 4 inches here in SC but nothing as novel as that appeared in our snow...thanks for sharing that...it made me cold...feat accomplished...
Sandi

Linda G. said...

I didn't see any of the snow rollers in person, only in pictures. Until this year I had never seen or heard of them.