Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What Is It XXVIII - Answers

#1 This is a Fungus that I saw and thought that would be a pretty good What Is It. Since Tom got the next one or two, I'll give Darla credit for the guess. She grows a lot of flowers in her Florida home and has probably seen these fungus. It starts out round.
It then explodes into a flat topped fungus.
#2 & #3: Okay, I got a little tricky and showed two different views of the Purple Pitcher Plant (Sarracenia purpurea). My friend Tom from Ohio Nature got this one and as I had predicted one person would get this, a few people got the first part. Tom works for the ODNR and had suggested that I visit Triangle Lake Bog, click on the label to see the photos I have taken from the bog. I have a photo from the Fall here and Tom told me the name at that time. There must have been 50 plants along the walkway. It is a carnivorous plant and once an insect goes into the pitcher part they can't get out. It is a neat plant for the bog. This shows the pitcher part and the flower coming from the stem. You can see the plastic wood walkway that keeps you above the bog.
This is a view of the bottom I shot up into the sky.
#4 I thought this was the easiest. You can see the toe of my shoe to see the size of the little ant hills. N L S Mama guessed sand first and that is the closest we got. She has neat photos from Michigan. Joan actually guessed a termite mound and I told her she made a termite mound out an ant hill. I'm sure they work on the same principle. As I said yesterday, she had a tough one this week.
I do hope you had some fun.

13 comments:

Marie Reed said...

These guessing games are such a blast!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh gosh Tom. Maybe you should have posted your shoe instead at least that way I would have got ONE right!! LOL!! Thanks for a fun game again. :)

Unknown said...

Of course we have fun playing this game.I was close on one!!

Rose said...

I missed these yesterday--don't like admitting it but think the only one I would have gotten is the mushroom.

Craig Glenn said...

Wow, I really was close!

Craig Glenn

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Tom please agree with you know who or else we will never hear the end of it again and he will start crying. LOL!!

Twisted Fencepost said...

Hey! I go one right. And it happens to be the one that no one got. I'm patting myself on the back. tee hee

Willard said...

Hi Tom,

I looked at the post yesterday, but didn't try to play as I didn't have a clue.

I do enjoy such posts as they make one think. I think the fungus is an especially good photo.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Craig: I must say that that was one of the closest guesses you have ever made. The rest of the guesses still have my sides splitting.

Craig Glenn said...

Hi Tom,

I posted a new round of Mystery Critter Wednesday on my blog today. I hope you can stop by and have a guess. Also like I told Joan, sorry for the shameless self promotion on your blog!
LOL

Craig Glenn

Tipper said...

Of course I didn't have clue on any of them! But what fun!

Anonymous said...

ahha....I thought it might have been an ant hill but thought sand might be a more practical guess...Great challenge keep em' coming! :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great ones, Tom... I never would have guessed an ant hill... Funny!!!
Betsy